Learn the skills to handle and move people safely and securely.
Nursing staff, healthcare workers and carers are involved in moving and handling people on a daily basis and can be easily injured if the correct equipment/method is not used to aid moving and handling. This one-day programme is designed to train participants how to handle and move people with the use of certain equipment and also recommends the best methods/techniques in a manner, which is safe for themselves and the person being care for.
Contact us to schedule an in-house course for your team. Should you only require training for a small number of staff please contact our partners in CPL Healthcare at email@example.com for their upcoming public course dates.
Who should attend?
Anyone who is handling or moving people during their working day
On completion of this programme participants will be able to:
- State the relevant safety legislation
- Identify risks of working with people in healthcare
- Identify and assess when and which mechanical aids should be used when moving or handling people
- Move, handle and transfer people safely
- Describe the limitations of the spine and methods of lifting/movement which can protect the back
- Recognise loads which are too heavy or awkward for
- Implication of the Legislation / Safety Statement
- Anatomy / Basics of the Musculoskeletal System
- Good Back care / Fitness
- Ergonomic Assessments
- Basic Principles of Safer Handling
- Inanimate Lifting – Basic Lifts
- Patient Handling / Moving:
- Falling or Fallen Patient
- Turning Patient in bed
- Moving Patient up in bed
- Sitting Patient Forward
- Moving seated patient up in bed
- Moving Patient from bed
- Moving seated patient from bed to chair
- Assisting patient to walk
- Transfer patient from bed to trolley
The Cpl Institute (TCI) People Moving and Handling Certificate
Please let us know if participants have any specific learner requirements.