CFR Instructor Recertification
A PHECC CFR Instructor Recertification course is required every 2 years to remain a Cardiac First Response (CFR) Instructor. As an Instructor you are required to deliver a minimum of 4 CFR courses within this 2 year period, these courses can be stand-alone CFR or CFR as part of a First Aid Course.
The CFR Instructor Recertification course is of 1 days duration.
What do I need to provide before the course?
As an instructor and to conform with the PHECC Education & Training Standards, you’ll need to send us the following prior to your course:
- Verification of in-date CFR Community Instructor certificate
- Verification of a balance of CFR/FAR courses delivered; a minimum 4 courses in the preceding 2 years
*You MUST provide evidence of the above two weeks prior to attending to prove your eligibility to sit the course.
PHECC CFR Instructor Re-certification
This highly practical session will include:
- A review and assessment of CPR & related skills
- An explanation of all current CFR CPG’s
- A scenario based assessment of an unresponsive simulated patient and delivery of one shock
- A review of AED safety measures
- A review of indications for AED use
- A review of indications for aspirin administration
- A review and assessment of instructional techniques
- A review of learning points arising from the group’s experiences of CPR and AED use and aspirin administration
Practical methods will be used to involve instructors through discussion, case study and practical scenarios.
What’s the assessment schedule?
Each instructor will be assessed in two areas:
- CPR skills and knowledge using the PHECC skill-sheets and the CFR Instructor MCQ.
- Instructional methods by being asked to teach a small portion of the CFR course as part of the day.
The ratio of CFR instructor trainers to participants is 1:6 and equipment to student ratio of 1:3 (equipment includes manikin and AED).
Dual certified Irish Heart Foundation (IHF)/American Heart Association (AHA) and PHECC courses
Dual IHF/PHECC CFR instructors working or volunteering on behalf of an IHF training site/PHECC recognised institution must be mindful that there are distinct course criteria for delivery of joint Heart Saver/BLS and CFR Community courses. Furthermore, dual Instructor certification must be maintained from two distinct certification/ accreditation systems (IHF/AHA and PHECC).